[Nepomuk] Porting Nepomuk to Windows/Mac

logic.cpp logic.cpp at gmail.com
Fri May 18 08:33:36 UTC 2012

BH

Hello
My aim is to get Nepomuk supported cross platform, i.e. on Windows & Mac.
(No - not through "KDE on Windows"..)

So far I have attempted to figure this out by:

1. Posting a thread
http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/nepomuk/2012-April/002409.html
Which was unfortunately left hanging (Patrick Spendrin hasn't followed up).

2. Email exchange with the boss himself
Sebastian was kind enough to reply to some of my emails. Here are some quotes:
  * He commented that "It would most certainly not be that hard to
strip away the Linux-specific parts, but there are no plans to do so."
  * I asked: "..How would you advise I go about finding all the
Linux-specific parts?...If I do this, it will be hard to merge new
updates from the main KDE nepomuk project..."
  * He answered: "With the upcoming KDE5 modularization is one goal
anyway...In addition to that one should look into the usage of K*
classes in Nepomuk. Most of them can be replaced with Qt5 counterparts
I think." BTW I started doing this; on WIndows I made a Qt Project all
the Nepomuk source code and began replacing K* stuff with Q* stuff.
Got stuck on some DBus code, among others..

3. My questions to you:
* How feasible would it be to indeed port Nepomuk to cross-platform'ness?
* Would feasibility drastically increase with KDE5 Modularization ?
Will this modularization remove any/all linux-specific dependencies
from the project (or at least keep any such in their own separate
platform-specific source folder)? If yes, how can I help implementing
this kde5 modularization for nepomuk?
* Can anyone help with additional tips/advice/guidance on how to go
about bringing Nepomuk to mac/windows. (For example; how to deal with
dependency on DBus?)

Thank you!