[Nepomuk] On-battery indexing

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sun May 6 15:07:05 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 3:54 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A user comment from my blog:
>
> > I have a question, though: Does it automatically re-index or update the
> index, when I
> > add a Tag or Comment? I think it should also watch for those
> user-generated changes
> > on battery. When I download another script PDF, it does not find them
> because on
> > battery the indexer is offline.
>
> Could we do a limited indexing (a few files here and there, not entire
> filesystems) when the user is on battery without much impact on
> battery?

Yup. It is possible.

And in fact it wouldn't be too hard to implement.

Right now we have a kind of priority queue where files and folders and
queued. Routine scanning and indexing of files are given a lower priority
than files that are added by inotify. So, we just need to make sure that
only files with this higher priority are indexed when the indexer is
suspended.

> --
> Cheerio,
> Ivan
>
> --
> While you were hanging yourself on someone else's words
> Dying to believe in what you heard
> I was staring straight into the shining sun

Vishesh Handa