[Nepomuk] Indexing encrypted filesystems

todd rme toddrme2178 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 11:12:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm planning to start the work on indexing the encrypted filesystems.
>
> There are some special needs in this case:
> - the filesystem is similar to removable media in the sense that the
> fs can be mounted/unmounted.
> - the difference to removable media is that it is always mounted at
> the same location (doesn't need to be, but it is the same for any fs)
> - it needs to store less meta-data than the normal indexing process
> (contents for example)
> - maybe later: store the meta-data in some encrypted form.
>
> First, any thoughts on this?
>
> Second, can you give me some pointers as to where is the
> removable-media detection code located so that I don't need to dig for
> it?
>
> --
> Cheerio,
> Ivan

I recall there were plans to have nepomuk store the metadata for a
removable device on the removable device itself rather than locally.
Wouldn't that also solve this problem?  That way you don't have to
worry about encrypting anything, it would automatically be encrypted
because it is stored on the encrypted filesystem to begin with.

-Todd