[Nepomuk] RFC: Use Bugzilla for coordinating development

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Tue Jul 10 22:13:27 UTC 2012

Hey everyone

I've been thinking a lot about opening up Nepomuk development. Right now
it's mainly just Sebastian and I working on their own private list of
things. Quite often we do not even know what the other person is working on.

This obviously has the effect of it being really hard for Nepomuk to get
new developers. They cannot see what is being worked, and hence find it
hard to contribute.

We tried maintaining a list of who was doing what last summer [1]. But it
was too much effort, and not quite detailed. That's probably cause we were
using a wiki, and wikis are annoying for these kind of things.

One possible solution that we start adding more of what we are doing on
bugzilla, while that can be a little annoying. It would help a lot. The new
bugzilla interface is quite nice, and the non guided mode for reporting
bugs is quite clean [2].

Additionally, from what I know Trever Fischer is currently developing a
pretty amazing program for accessing "Bugzilla Tasks" from the terminal.
I've seen a little bit of it during Akademy, and it seems fairly simple to
use. He should release it pretty soon.

The advantage of having everything in bugzilla is that we can group them
according to their component [3], and have nice hierarchies by making
certain tasks depend on other tasks. Also it would be the central place to
discuss issues relating to that particular issue.

It would also be nice if we could create a new mailing list - nepomuk-bugs
to which all the Nepomuk bugs by default are assigned. (Quite similar to
Telepathy). It makes listening in to bug reports a lot simpler, and when
someone is working on a task they can assign that bug to themselves, and
work on it. This way, we do not step on each others feet.

What do you guys think?

[1] http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk/DevelopmentStatus#Old_stuff
[2] https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=nepomuk
[3] https://bugs.kde.org/component-report.cgi?product=nepomuk