[Nepomuk] File indexer-related questions

Sebastian Trüg sebastian at trueg.de
Sat Jan 7 12:30:53 UTC 2012

On 01/07/2012 11:59 AM, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We are planning to introduce activity encryption for SC4.9 and PA3 and
> it raises a couple of questions regarding our usage of nepomuk.
>
> The idea is as follows:
> - there will be unencrypted activities, behaving like they do now
> - there will be encrypted ones (fuse+encfs)
>   - each will have a set of dedicated directories for the files in it:
>     $HOME/Activities/.uuid (enc data) and $HOME/Activities/uuid (mount point)
>     (or something similar)
>   - when a file is linked to the activity, it is moved to the encrypted folder
>   - when a file is unlinked, it returns to the original location... or
> whatever (will have to think about this).
>
> So, these are going to be the issues with nepomuk that I'd like for us to solve:
>
> 1. Reindexing of the files on move
>
> I guess there is a way to tell nepomuk that something has moved and
> that it doesn't need to be reindexed? Is it enough to just change the
> nie:url before the actual move operation?

Just move the file. That's it. And of course make sure the target folder
is configured to be indexed since otherwise it would be removed on next
startup.

> 2. File contents in nepomuk
>
> We need the file indexer not to save the nie:plainTextContent of the
> files that are under encrypted folder. Guess it is not currently
> possible, so I'd like us to find a feasible solution for this as soon
> as possible.

sounds like more complex configuration for the indexer which is not much
fun. It means not only to skip the content on indexing (which would be
easy to introduce) but also to remove it when moving a file into a
folder which is configured as such and adding it when doing the opposite.
All possible but someone has to do it. :P