[Nepomuk] virtuoso-t consumes a lot of cpu time

Diederik de Haas didi.debian at cknow.org
Thu Jan 5 23:41:36 UTC 2012

On Thursday 05 January 2012 18:41:36 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> And when I look at the status display in the system config module for
> Nepomuk I see that it is indexing files it should have already done
> before.  So either it didn´t index this on the initial scan for some
> reason, maybe the initial scan was aborted... or it indexes the files
> again. But then the size of my Nepomuk datastore and the amount of files
> in the index raise while it is scanning these old files so it seems to be
> putting some new search data in there.
>
> I now have about 216850 files in a datastore of 2,0 GB.

With 4.6.5 nepomuk was working quite nicely on my system (Debian Sid on amd64, 4 cores, 8GB RAM).
After logging into KDE, nepomuk did a quick search (I guess to check whether the indices were still
up to date) and then the icon disappeared again. And I could find almost all files on my system
(password protected pdf was an exception).

After upgrading to 4.7.x that all changed for the worse :-(
After logging in, nepomuk started indexing file over and over again, including files which it had
already processed. It only found a small section of files in my home directory. Since then I've
removed the smb-shares I had mounted in my home directory (work and media files), completely deleted
nepomuk's index (about 1,8 GB), left my pc on over night so nepomuk would have plenty of time to
complete the initial indexing ... nothing seemed to work. Also lots of files were not found. If
nepomuk was still indexing it could've explained it, but it was idle.
Also applied the 'trick' as described in http://trueg.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/manually-forcing-the-
re-indexing-of-folders-is-easy/ and triggered it for my 'reference' folder (which I used to test
whether nepomuk started 'working' again). Still, no dice.

About 2 days ago, everything returned to 'normal' again, meaning only a short indexing after logging
in and it finds all (?) files in my home folder again. I now have 5691 files indexed, consuming 180 MB
of data.
But I have no clue why. There were some updates (logically, since I'm running Sid) but none KDE
related.

I do consider what happened after upgrading to 4.7,x a bug, but didn't report it since all I could
say was "It's not working", which doesn't help anyone.
What I would really like, are ways to figure out why it isn't (wasn't) working properly. Any pointers
in that direction are much appreciated, since I like nepomuk when it's working and when it's not I
want to be able to write a proper bug report.

Regards,
  Diederik