[Nepomuk] nepomuk and thumbnail management

nihui shuizhuyuanluo at 126.com
Mon Feb 13 14:45:56 UTC 2012

hi all
I think nepomuk has advantage over the current kio way in managing the file thumbnails.
currently, kio slave does the job for finding/creating/updating corresponding thumbnail image and returning the image to application.
but there is no way to have more advanced management, such as deleting thumbnail images when the original file has been deleted, or renaming thumbnail image filename when the original file is renamed.

however, nepomuk can do these advanced jobs naturally, right ?

I would like to propose using nepomuk for creating and maintaining the relation between the orignal file and thumbnail image. I mean another nie entry called like thumbnail, containing the thumbnail image uri. The actual thumbnail image storing is still followed the Thumbnail Managing Standard[1].
Applications can request the thumbnail from nepomuk, then another nepomuk service, like thumbnail creating, creates the thumbnail and the relation if not found.

[1] http://people.freedesktop.org/~vuntz/thumbnail-spec-cache/

best wishes,
nihui