[Nepomuk] A repo for nepomuk-based kioslaves.

Vishesh Handa me at vhanda.in
Sat Dec 29 11:29:57 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Luis Silva <lacsilva at gmail.com> wrote:

> **
>
> Dear all,

Hey Luis

> As Nepomuk becomes more powerful and optimised, new infrastructures can
> and have been built upon it. Examples include the nepomuktvnamer service by
> Sebastian Trueg or the subtitle search by Vishesh Handa. This is software
> that adds value to the kde desktop but will never reach the end users if it
> is not beaten into shape and put in a repository that modern distributions
> will pick-up.
>

> In this spirit, I propose the creation of the "nepomuk-kio-slaves"
> project. This project, similarly to "nepomuk-widgets", this project would
> accumulate all the kio-slaves that directly expose nepomuk data in a
> user-friendly manner.

We actually had a very similar plan for frameworks - we were going to make
a new repo and move all the kioslaves in it. We didn't think so much about
the music/people ones. We were just concentrating on the
kde-runtime/kioslaves.

In 4.9, we then really required the nepomuk-core repo, but we decided to
not split up kde-runtime/nepomuk more, as it wasn't required.

> As a start for this project I created a git repo in my personal scratch
> area with some old and new kio-slaves so that anyone can start
> contributing. In there you can find the following kios:
>

> - music (the original kio from Sebastian Trueg);
>
> - tv-shows (the original kio from Sebastia Trueg's tvnamer service);
>
> - movies (a kio exposing all the movies known to nepomuk)
>
> - people (a kio showing all the nco:PersonContact's known to nepomuk and
> some of the data that relates to that contact)
>

> Ideas? Suggestions?

I like the idea, I'm just not sure if we should -

1. Release it as a separate package via extragear
2. Move the kioslaves in kde-runtime/nepomuk/kioslaves
3. Move the kde-runtime/nepomuk/kioslaves in the new repo, and release it
with kde sc.

Any opinions?

[1] http://community.kde.org/Projects/Nepomuk/Irc_meeting_nepomuk_frameworks
--