[Nepomuk] Nepomuk on Windows and Mac

logic.cpp logic.cpp at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 21:23:18 UTC 2012

BH

Thank you Patrick for your reply regarding Windows.

> Most of the required binaries can be build...

How does this work?
Are the required binaries composed of platform-independent C++ code that can
simply be compiled with MSVC to produce DLLs for Windows?

> the following issues remain:
> Setting up a system where nepomuk actually does work (with indexer
> running and the required database server).

Just to get a better understanding: How does Nepomuk currently work in KDE on
Linux, and how is it different for Windows that these things (running indexer,
database server) need to be set up?

But more importantly: How do I indeed set up a running Nepomuk indexer and
database server?

> ...And the second big issue:
> Make a distributable system out of it, meaning that you do not only need
> to get that running on your developer system, but also on the users'
> systems. This requires to make an installer which sets everything up for
> the user etc.

How indeed? I'd imagine we'd need to package some DLLs into the software, or
some-such.

> Given that there is already dolphin available on Windows (only without
> working nepomuk), you might rather want to try out getting dolphin to
> work with nepomuk than to redo the work for the explorer part.

Actually I feel that my project calls for developing a totally novel GUI for
semantic file browsing, differing greatly from traditional directory tree
browsing. As such, I don't think Dolphin will be of good use to me. Thoughts?

> If you are really interested in developing such an application I could
> at least give you some ideas where & how to start on windows.

Please please do! I would very muchly appreciate that.

Thanks in advance!
- logic.cpp