[Nepomuk] First time Hello / Conquirere research tool / BibTeX ontology

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Sat Sep 24 07:37:35 UTC 2011

On 09/24/2011 12:31 AM, Andreas Cord-Landwehr wrote:
> Hi, first of all I want to say: I think this idea is great! (actually, I
> already had KMail opened to propose such an ontology by myself when I
> noticed this thread...) Well, my dream is that one day I can open
> KRunner, write some words about a research topic and "magically" find my
> corresponding authors, papers, conferences, and own notes...
>

> For now I want to add some ideas that came to my mind when studying the
> entity graph of the proposal (I need to say: I am quite experienced with
> BibTeX, but not with the Nepomuk ontologies):
>

> * Locally stored Files: I could not find a specific entry for locally
> saved files. Me and most of my colleges store quite large archives of
> PDFs on their computers and try to keep them in sync with the
> corresponding bibliography descriptions. As there is also a large number
> of quite expensive journals that you do not want to by twice, there is
> sometimes even an advantage of a local copy compared to use a weblink.
> So: what about adding support for locally saved papers.

Its already there. bib:publishedAs can refer to a local file.

> * Conferences: One of my key search terms in my personal paper database
> are specific conferences. So it would be nice to have an additional
> entity discribing a conference with its date/month, organization, and
> place. AFAIK those values are also described by the BibTeX
> meta-reference "conference".

Well, we have ncal:Event which seems to make sense for conferences, too,
seeing they are essentially events. The question is: do we need a
subclass to ncal:Event which adds properties specific to a conference?
In other words: does a conference have properties which do not apply to
other events like a meeting or a concert or whatever?
And to make things confusing: should we make the distinction between
event types on the pimo level or on the NCAL level (CC'ing *Leo* for this).