[Nepomuk] Sync KDE-Nepomuk to online db

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 18:02:49 UTC 2011

Hey Pierre

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 11:00 PM, PierreL <pierrelud at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to sync the KDE-Nepomuk quad-store to an online quad-store probably
> with the help of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SyncML

I want the same thing. I would actually like OwnCloud to have a quad store.

> I understand a year ago there was a hacking session on a ShareServie and
> work done during GSOC on this service. I also understand Telepathy has/will
> have some interest in this. I do not know of where this work stands and what
> are the current problems.

That was done by me. The project was "Nepomuk Backup, Sync and Sharing". The
backup and synchronization worked, but the design wasn't great, and it was
only in hindsight that we realized all kinds of problems. Fortunately, most
of my work was used to develop the Data Management service, which is the
core part of Nepomuk 2.0.

Right now, some parts of backup and synchronization needs to be rewritten,
and they need to be merged with the Storage service. It's not a big job, it
involves throwing a lot of code away and I should get down to it. The
complex code which does the identification of duplicates and merges triples
into the repository is already there. And it has been tested thoroughly.

The sharing service is still just a prototype. However, we're going to be
working on it during the Telepathy sprint (15th-18th September)

> I will of cause want to re-use as much as possible, so if something is
> available now please let me know or just any information you can share.

Of course. We would like that as well.

I'm not really familiar with SyncML. I'll take some time and read up about
it.

Till then could you tell what your plans were?

> Thanks,
> Pierre

Vishesh Handa