[Nepomuk] Re: Experience and wihses for Nepomuk

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon May 9 15:26:25 CEST 2011

On 05/08/2011 01:22 PM, Thomas Thym wrote:
> Dear Nepomuk-developers
>
> I am a big fan of Nepomuk and see the huge potential it has. During my promotional work for KDE at various locations I have heard the following two proposals. From my own experiences in a business environment I can underline those two wishes.
>
> 1. Tagging / commenting / rating files in the save dialogs:
> It would make the use of Neponmuk features (esp. tagging, rating and commenting) much easier if it was integrated in the standard "save" dialog. The whole process of using those features would be much simpler. (I myself am to lazy to tag many files with Dolphin after they are saved, but I think I would tag them when I enter the filename.)

I fully agree. It was even already started in GSoC 2009. Sadly we never
got it to a point where it was stable and usable enough. But the plan is
there.

> 2. Distributed/shared tags on networks:
> In business environments we mainly work with network storage. When I am right, mounted network drives could be tagged as well. But only locally. My co-workers can not see my tags and vice verse. It would be a blast (or in promo language "a great selling point") to "share" the tags/comments so my co-workers can use and edit them, too. When I search a document or some information I am not always looking for my own files.

This is much trickier but also on the todo already. The first step will
be sharing of stuff. Then tags for example will be in both systems.
Then the idea is to allow other people to query some of the information
on your system and to allow them to read it.
But the groupware approach which stores information on a server is
another question and much harder to integrate with the existing solutions.

Nonetheless the goal is there. :)

> Randa is approaching and perhaps you can include that two points into your discussions.
>
> Thanks for reading and your work on Nepomuk!

thank you for your input.