[Nepomuk] akonadi nepomuk feeder problem, new nepomuk datamanagement service

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Sun May 8 20:07:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

While working on a nepomuk note feeder for akonadi, I ran into a problem
which I'm not sure how to solve.

The problem is, that the feederagents work with the nepomuk FAST classes.
Those classes side pass all checks,
and should therefore be faster. Unfortunately this implies that it is only
possible to add properties,
and not to change properties.

So for notes I need to use

res.setProperty( Vocabulary::NIE::description(), Soprano::LiteralValue(
note.text() ) );

to set the text, so the note gets fulltext indexed. If addProperty is used
instead,
we end up with a new description property for every update, meaning all
versions of the text are available
and never removed.

But since I cannot use the FAST classes because they lack the setProperty
call, and the NepomukFeederAgent base class
forces me to use the FAST classes we need some other solution.

The obvious solutions would of course be to not use the FAST classes in
the first place (which might decrease performance for all feeders).

But now I was talking to Sebastian Trueg, and he told me of a new
datamanagement service for Nepomuk living in the nepomuk/datamanagement
branch of kde-runtime.
This service adds new convenience functionality, such as automatically
adding info about the creator of resources, automatic handling of
dependencies when deleting resource (i.e. if the Thing should be also
deleted or if it is referenced by another resource). So in the long term I
think this dms is the way to go (although I don't know if this would
impose any performance problems, for i.e. the email feeder).

I'm not sure though when we can start using it.
The dms will probably be available in kde-runtime for 4.7 and in kdelibs
4.8 (according to strueg that is the current plan),
but afaik kdepim-runtime has no dependency on kde-runtime, so we would
have to wait for 4.8?

Soooo, if the dms would go into kdelibs for 4.7 already, could we already
start using it in kdepim-runtime?

Solutions for the initial problem, thoughts on the dms?

Sebastian, please correct me if I wrote something wrong.

Cheers,

Chris