No subject

Wed Jul 27 21:38:03 CEST 2011

like Nepomuk and Strigi. But from a developer's perspective, I put my heart
and soul into Nepomuk, and want the project to be known. I want the users to
be like "ohh! This feature is so cool, and it is possible because of
Nepomuk."

Plus, there is the whole issue of Nepomuk not primarily being a "Desktop
Search" solution. However, I do not know a nice user appealing way of
portraying that. Semantic Storage perhaps?

Example - Nepomuk Backup is meant to backup all your Nepomuk data, but it
does not backup any of the "desktop search" data as that is easily
reproducible. How do I explain what Nepomuk Backup is? All of these options
are provided under "Desktop Search", but people wouldn't consider "tagging"
and "rating" to be a part of Desktop Search, and therefore wouldn't think of
looking for its backup utility over there.

One option is to help people understand what Nepomuk provides, and use the
appropriate term.

But then many users just don't care, and want their system to just work.

I can't think of a solution that addresses these problems.

> thanks for your understanding and indulgence ...

:)

--
Vishesh Handa

--001517479182ff1b9304a921053a

, Aaron J. Seigo <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:aseigo at kde.org">as=
le=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex;">
hi guys ...<br>
it&#39;s that time of year again.. you know, the day after release where i<=
br>
suddenly notice that once again there are dozens of translated strings in<b=
r>
nepomuk code that the user will see which contain the words &quot;nepomuk&q=
uot; and/or<br>
&quot;strigi&quot;.<br>
yep, pretty well every. single. release. we manage to ship a bunch of &quot=
;Nepomuk<br>
this&quot; and &quot;Strigi that&quot; to our users, most of whom just look=
 at those messages<br>
and wonder what we&#39;re smoking. &quot;What is .. nee-puh-mook?&quot;<br>
getting nepomuk and strigi into top flight shape technically is of course o=
f<br>
paramount importance. nothing really matters if it doesn&#39;t work well, r=
ight?<br>
right.<br>
but it&#39;s equally important to make sure that the user experience is goo=
d.<br>
because if it isn&#39;t, it doesn&#39;t matter how well nepomuk runs, our u=
sers will<br>
think it is garbage.<br>
even worse, most of our users do not know the difference between nepomuk an=
d<br>
the desktop it seems so well integrated with, so these leakages of jargon<b=
r>
affect not only the perception of nepomuk, but everything included in the<b=
r>
Plasma Desktop as well.<br>
 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0this is not=
 cool. we must improve on this.<br>
now, i apologize right here and now for the this lecture because it is not =
fun<br>
to read, i&#39;m sure. it&#39;s not fun to write either. i&#39;d rather be =
doing other<br>
things, too. :) but this is IMPORTANT, and it keeps happening. i keep talki=
ng<br>
about it, i keep fixing things on your behalf but we keep repeating the sam=
e<br>
simple errors over and over and over again.<br>
so .. here&#39;s the easy solution which will make our user&#39;s lives bet=
ter, which<br>
means our lives as KDE hackers improves too:<br>
whenever you are wrapping a message in i18n() and it contains the word<br>
&quot;nepomuk&quot;, &quot;strigi&quot; or any other similar bit of jargon,=
 STOP! if this will<br>
reasonably be shown to the user in the normal day-to-day user interface (so=
items like server processes that don&#39;t show UI get a pass here), replac=
e the<br>
jargon with understandable, every-day, lay-person language.<br>
it is not hard to do, it takes just a moment of time and the least bit of<b=
r>
self-discipline. it is the most valuable .5 seconds you are likely to spend=
 in<br>
terms of payback: other things with that kind of immediate user impact usua=
lly<br>
take a lot longer to accomplish.<br>
with that out of the way, someone needs to go through the backup GUI and de=
-<br>
ckquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-le=
ft: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

and please, can we all agree to work on this together? to make Plasma Deskt=
op<br>
a Jargon Free(tm) zone? to ship 4.8 without user visible jargon?<br></block=
eed for not wanting to see terms like Nepomuk and Strigi. But from a develo=
per&#39;s perspective, I put my heart and soul into Nepomuk, and want the p=
roject to be known. I want the users to be like &quot;ohh! This feature is =
so cool, and it is possible because of Nepomuk.&quot;<br>
esktop Search&quot; solution. However, I do not know a nice user appealing =
way of portraying that. Semantic Storage perhaps?<br><br>Example - Nepomuk =
Backup is meant to backup all your Nepomuk data, but it does not backup any=
 of the &quot;desktop search&quot; data as that is easily reproducible. How=
 do I explain what Nepomuk Backup is? All of these options are provided und=
er &quot;Desktop Search&quot;, but people wouldn&#39;t consider &quot;taggi=
ng&quot; and &quot;rating&quot; to be a part of Desktop Search, and therefo=
re wouldn&#39;t think of looking for its backup utility over there.<br>
the appropriate term.<br><br>But then many users just don&#39;t care, and w=
ant their system to just work.<br><br>I can&#39;t think of a solution that =
addresses these problems.<br>
8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">
ont><br>

--001517479182ff1b9304a921053a--