[Nepomuk] Re: java bindings for soprano?

Darren Cruse darren.cruse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 23:10:57 CET 2011

I didn't say so but I was familiar and I actually was considering that as
well.  Because my java code (which I inherited) is already written using the
Jena api.

I decided I should make that my last choice because Sebastion had indicated
the idea of Soprano with Nepomuk was to always go through it and not talk to
Virtuoso directly.  He said there's certain things it does - validations or
things I guess - that would be bypassed otherwise.

And I guess obviously the idea of Soprano is that it allows Nepomuk the
freedom to work with different stores right (where I understand it's already
gone through Sesame and Redland on the way to Virtuoso!  I'd love to hear
more about why! :).

But I appreciate your comment and like I say I am considering that as a
backup plan if there's no easier binding for Soprano from java.  And I don't
really hate the "just write it out to a file and import" approach either.
It's kind of neat that's so loosely coupled to anything and everything.

Truthfully my other reasoning is the thought that in the long run my hope is
to *possibly* get to the point of contributing code back to Nepomuk, and
that's where I feel like I should keep with the program as best I can (e.g.
of C++, though it looks like Python has some real usage in KDE as well?).

And in that respect maybe it's no problem doing what you said since really
what I'm talking about using java in this case is pretty proprietary...
there's no real open source opportunity for what I'm talking about at the
moment.