[Nepomuk] Re: dolphin faceted search under Kubuntu/KDE 4.6 RC2

Darren Cruse darren.cruse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 23:38:36 CET 2011

It's funny I had not built anything from source before (on KDE Linux I
mean) but I'd come to understand I would do cmake, followed by make
install (correct?)

But I was getting some weird error running cmake and in the course of
trying to install different/latest kde developer libs, I accidentially
removed some things I hadn't meant to (kdelibs-bin - ouch!).

And after reinstalling a bunch of stuff it's working! :)

At least the faceted search part where you can click on the filter
checkboxes for tags an so forth and the search results automatically
change.

One small point of feedback:  Have you noticed that if you're browsing
a high level folder, click one of those checkboxes, are automatically
switched to "find mode" (if that's the right name for it), with the
results appropriately limited, and then you *uncheck* the thing you'd
checked such that no filter checkbox is checked, it wants to start
searching and displaying literally every file beneath the folder you
were on.  Not sure what the alternative UI flow would/should be, but
it's definitely surprising the first time you do that...  you start
seeing a huge number of thumbnails populating (I almost feel the
better behaviour would be not to search in that scenario i.e. where
nothings in the search box and nothing's checked).

On a different note:  I could not get the SPARQL search to work in
either the location box or the search field (wasn't sure which was
right so tried both).  i.e. The example like:

  nepomuksearch:/?sparql=select ?r where {{?r nao:hasTag
<nepomuk:/semanticweb>} UNION {?r nao:hasTag <nepomuk:/test>}}

But maybe that's not a part of what KDE 4.6 is including?

I also did a quick try with sopranocmd and got no results with e.g.:

   sopranocmd --dbus org.kde.NepomukStorage --model main list "" ""
"<nepomuk:/foobar>"

But did I understand correctly that "foobar" in the above example is
the name of an entered tag?  So I'd simply had some tags of "test" and
I was trying:

   sopranocmd --dbus org.kde.NepomukStorage --model main list "" ""
"<nepomuk:/test>"

There were no errors btw just no results returned.  I bet I'm
misunderstanding something...

Lastly just a moment ago I tried a SPARQL query through sopranocmd and
I'm tickled that worked:

    sopranocmd --dbus org.kde.NepomukStorage --model main query
"select ?r where { ?r nao:hasTag ?tag . ?tag nao:prefLabel
'test'^^xsd:string . }"

Returned:
r -> <nepomuk:/res/14a10309-4414-41da-8f79-d8df51c0e62a>
r -> <nepomuk:/res/3f320a70-d9d6-4c44-a624-b5fdd87a4d00>

Though I had not expected the GUID style resources I thought the
actually file path might have been the URI for the resource?  I guess
there's another RDF predicate for the actual file path?

If I can export the data as rdf/xml for me that would be ideal.  I
might even throw something like AllegroGraph (Gruff) on it where I
could see the graph to teach myself better the Nepomuk ontology.

My only other question at the moment is if dolphin's tagging features
are expected to let you use "tags" with values if you like (I
understand Fickr calls those "machine tags"?)   e.g. I have a bunch of
documents about products for sale and I want to "tag" them with the
price.  I was reading on Flickr people had kind of evolved their own
conventions and put e.g. "price=75" as the value of the "tag".  Would
this be what you'd expect with dolphin in it's current KDE 4.6
incarnation?

(i.e. maybe this is an area that might be enhanced assuming that's the
only way right now?  e.g. what you'd really want would be a way for
the faceted stuff to have an actual price field(s) for them to search
with)

Thanks again - I'm starting get encouraged,

Darren