[Nepomuk] dolphin faceted search under Kubuntu/KDE 4.6 RC2

Darren Cruse darren.cruse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 11 14:18:37 CET 2011

I've installed the KDE 4.6 RC2 package (released last week) on Kubuntu -
this release includes Nepomuk and the faceted search in dolphin.

I've enabled Nepomuk under the Desktop Search system settings, as well as
the Strigi indexer.

And though basic search seems to work, as soon as I click on any of the
"Filter" widgets on the right, i.e. "Documents", "Images", "Anytime", "This
Year", etc. the search results disappear.  At least until I click the back
arrow or close the Find to get back to normal browsing.

The best clue I have that something (maybe?) isn't installed right is that I
can see a stream of the following messages if I've started dolphin from an
xterm:

    "/usr/bin/dolphin(2431)" Soprano:
"org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown - The name
org.kde.nepomuk.services.nepomukstorage was not provided by any .service
files"

Hoping maybe this rings a bell for someone.  I've googled and found various
references to this error on various forums, but I haven't been able to
figure out why it's happening for me.

Thanks again,

Darren