[Nepomuk] nepomuk init notification

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 04:18:01 CET 2011

if you're using the activitybar or activitymanager plasmoids, you might have
noticed they don't show icons any more. this is a bug. the problem is, plasma
starts before nepomuk (or at least before the part that serves activity
icons), and is not notified when nepomuk does come up.

I tried to implement such notification, but it didn't work: I thought the
org.kde.NepomukServer service would come up when nepomuk is ready, but it
doesn't. heck, it doesn't even go down when I disable nepomuk. I looked
through the xml files, and found a couple of things with signals for something
that looked init-like, but could only find one.. sort-of running. it was the
same NepomukServer service providing htat interface... and the interface went
away when nepomuk was down. not much use, then, afaik. and afaik, you can't
watch for dbus *interfaces* appearing, only *services*.

does anyone know what part of nepomuk is responsible for those icons? (I spent
a while tracing a path through the sources, but gave up at ResourceDataHash.)

more importantly, does anyone know how I can get notified when that part of
nepomuk comes up?

...and just to complicate things, it now seems that after I disable and enable
nepomuk, I lose activity icons altogether. :/ that... makes testing a bit
tricky.

--
Chani
http://chani.ca