[Nepomuk] Re: NMM, music ratings and muzicbrainz ID

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon Jan 3 17:27:18 CET 2011

Hi Roman,

late reply due to holidays:

The clean solution would indeed be to create a pimo thing and attach all
information to that one. That would directly solve the problem of
handling music pieces without files.
Theoretically it would even be clean to duplicate the information like
composer and so on. After all there might be a difference between what
is stored in the file and what is actually "true". (Of course this
distinction is not important to most users.)

In the spirit of compatibility we could add additional domains to the
NMM properties and introduce new types to represent the "actual" music
pieces and not the data that is stored somewhere. Then the file could
also be double-typed for the simplest use case or it could link to the
"actual" music piece.
Here we could have a hierarchy again. Something like:

nmm:AudioSomething
  |- nmm:MusicTrack
  |- nmm:Interview

where AudioSomething is a bad name but the class could (or should?) be a
subclass of pimo:Thing.

We actually have a quite similar problem with TV show information:
currently that is attached to the information element, too. Thus, not
allowing to have the same TV show in several files.

If we can come up with a good solution for audio files we could, maybe,
extend it to TV shows and movies.