[Nepomuk] Re: Presentation, queries and other stuff

Ignacio Serantes kde at aynoa.net
Wed Feb 23 21:42:26 CET 2011

Hi

> thanks a lot for contributing.

You're welcome and thanks to you and your collaborators for develop a very
interesting project.

> On 02/22/2011 11:16 PM, Ignacio Serantes wrote:
> > I'm actually developing a python script to backup/restore, share nepomuk
> > data in usb disks and tag/untag files from command line. The script name
> > is neposidekick and I submitted to kde-apps.
> >
> > But I updated last week to KDE 4.6 and because search is not working, I
> > dislike a lot the new filter panel, and I hate that the query toolbar
> > box was removed in KDE 4.6, I decided to add queries to my script.
>
> The query box was not removed at all. Simple press Ctrl-F to get it
> shown again like in other applications.

Yes but aide system is missing, I filled a bug about this in kde-apps.org,
when I write a new text queries don't work at all and dolphin do a file name
search and seems like logical "and" is totally broken. This behavior is not
really useful to me :).

> > Actually queries works only in console fine and fast except if you mix
> > ontologies, a design mistake because I barely know sparql, but next
> > weekend I will rewrite sparql builder and solve this problem.
> >
> > The search syntax is currently:
> >
> > exact_string = "string" | 'string'
> > value = exact_string | date | number | string
> > op = > | < | >= | <= | = | !=
> >
> > term = [ + | - ] value [op] [:ontology]
> > query = term [ [or] term ]...
> >
> > but dates, numbers and arithmetic operators are not supported and only
> > Tag, hasTag, description and url ontologies are implemented yet.
> >
> > Here are same usage examples:
> > query: 'pending':hasTag .avi:name -'Takeuchi Yūko':actor
> > explanation: hasTag equals pending, file name contains .avi and actor
> > not equal 'Takeuchi Yūko'
> >
> > query: wind
> > explanation: wind contained in all supported places
> >
> > query: movie:hasTag 5>
> > explanation: hasTag contains movie and rating > 5
> >
> > query: 5< or 8>
> > explanation: rating < 5 or rating > 8
> >
> > Some question are not decided yet, for example date format, but when I
> > will rewrite sparql generator I will have more knowledge about this
> stuff.
>
> nice.
>
> > About query language, please consider that my intention is not create a
> > natural language, an easy language or an input interface because this
> > are nepomuksearch and filter panel goals. I want a syntax where you can
> > write complex queries in a few seconds, without inutile key presses or a
> > method where you need to open a window several times and do a search to
> > add a tag to build your query.
>
> I can understand that.
>
> > In irc sxe (sorry and don't know his real name) was a great help testing
> > my work and he and V. Handa suggested to write a KIO. I think that this
> > is a great idea if KIO could be written in python so any knowledge about
> > this stuff will be appreciated.
> >
> > Comments and suggestions about my work are welcome :).
>
> Well, the nepomuksearch:/ KIO slave already supports a more natural
> language, ie. the language that is used in the search box. It allows to
> write queries like "hasTag:foobar AND ...".
> The query parser is one big hack and I would actually like to get it
> improved (compare the GSOC project idea:
> http://community.kde.org/GSoC/2011/Ideas#Project:_A_.22real.22_query_parser
> ).
> So maybe the work could be combined?

Sure, I want to help :). I like nepomuksearch syntax, I use everyday in KDE
4.5 and aide system was terrific. Obviously, I prefer my syntax because it's
fast (typing of course) but parser and builder are separated things so is
easy change the parser or even, try to support more than one language
syntax. This could be really useful in other languages because, if your main
intention is write a natural language parser there is a lot of people that
don't understand English.

About aide system I'm really interested in implement something similar so,
where I can found this code?. I barely read C/C++ but I will do my best.

Next weekend I will rewrite sparql builder, I learn a few sparql last days
but I need to write several queries and analyze results to be comfortable
and, if I have enough time, I will try to write a KIO in python.
When all this work is finished I'll be open about any work combination you
have in mind.

At least I have one thing clear, an alternative search system written in
python ready to use when official query systems are broken could be a great
addition.

> > On the other side, I'm reading nmm ontologies and I found that there is
> > a lot of interesting stuff, at least for me, missing. Things like music
> > videos or live performances, documentaries or emission dates. I'm a
> > newbie so I don't know if things like this are inside or outside of nmm
> > goals neither this stuff was discussed before.
>
> These things are in the scope of NMM and IMHO it would be a good idea to
> add them.

I think that at least nmm:emissionDate, a simple copy of nmm:releaseDate,
would be great.

> Cheers,
> Sebastian

Ignacio