[Nepomuk] Presentation, queries and other stuff

Ignacio Serantes kde at aynoa.net
Tue Feb 22 23:16:41 CET 2011

Hi!

I'm Ignacio Serantes and I'm new to this list and an active nepomuk user.
I'm from Spain, so my apologies for my English and excuse me for my rude
language.

I'm actually developing a python script to backup/restore, share nepomuk
data in usb disks and tag/untag files from command line. The script name is
neposidekick and I submitted to kde-apps.

But I updated last week to KDE 4.6 and because search is not working, I
dislike a lot the new filter panel, and I hate that the query toolbar box
was removed in KDE 4.6, I decided to add queries to my script.

Actually queries works only in console fine and fast except if you mix
ontologies, a design mistake because I barely know sparql, but next weekend
I will rewrite sparql builder and solve this problem.

The search syntax is currently:

exact_string = "string" | 'string'
value = exact_string | date | number | string
op = > | < | >= | <= | = | !=

term = [ + | - ] value [op] [:ontology]
query = term [ [or] term ]...

but dates, numbers and arithmetic operators are not supported and only Tag,
hasTag, description and url ontologies are implemented yet.

Here are same usage examples:
query: 'pending':hasTag .avi:name -'Takeuchi Yūko':actor
explanation: hasTag equals pending, file name contains .avi and actor not
equal 'Takeuchi Yūko'

query: wind
explanation: wind contained in all supported places

query: movie:hasTag 5>
explanation: hasTag contains movie and rating > 5

query: 5< or 8>
explanation: rating < 5 or rating > 8

Some question are not decided yet, for example date format, but when I will
rewrite sparql generator I will have more knowledge about this stuff.

About query language, please consider that my intention is not create a
natural language, an easy language or an input interface because this are
nepomuksearch and filter panel goals. I want a syntax where you can write
complex queries in a few seconds, without inutile key presses or a method
where you need to open a window several times and do a search to add a tag
to build your query.

In irc sxe (sorry and don't know his real name) was a great help testing my
work and he and V. Handa suggested to write a KIO. I think that this is a
great idea if KIO could be written in python so any knowledge about this
stuff will be appreciated.

Comments and suggestions about my work are welcome :).

On the other side, I'm reading nmm ontologies and I found that there is a
lot of interesting stuff, at least for me, missing. Things like music videos
or live performances, documentaries or emission dates. I'm a newbie so I
don't know if things like this are inside or outside of nmm goals neither
this stuff was discussed before.

--
Cheers
Ignacio