[Nepomuk] nepomuksearch: doesn't work like its documentation

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 04:58:32 UTC 2011

http://userbase.kde.org/Nepomuk#Try_out_in_Dolphin used to say
enter "nepomuksearch:/" followed by search terms

But in Kubuntu 11.10 (KDE 4.7.2), entering in the location field
   nepomuksearch:specialword
displays a blank find bar with nothing on it, no results, and the
status bar at the bottom of the search window displays
    No items found."

I finally found nepomuksearch: documentation at
<http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Metadata/Nepomuk/QueryService#Simple_Search_Syntax>,
and that claims "The legacy search method is to simply open
   nepomuksearch:/<simple search query>"
But entering
  nepomuksearch:/specialword
also displays a blank find bar with nothing on it, no results. But
this time the status bar at the bottom of the search window displays
    Could not start process Unable to create io-slave:
    klauncher said: Unknown protocol ".
    '
while displaying an endless "Searching..." progress bar at the bottom right.

The same TechBase page gives some actual syntax.
  nepomuksearch:/?query=specialword
works, finds pages with specialword.

But its other examples of search syntax fail for me
  nepomuksearch:/?query=contentSize>1000KiB
displays the blank find bar and the status is "No items found". If I
change it to less than, I still get no results
  nepomuksearch:/?query=rating>2
seems to match every file on my NTFS volume, even though none have ratings

Most of these searches displayed a blank find bar with nothing on it,
but half-way through testing,  the find bar showed "Query Results from
'contentsize >100KiB'" regardless of what I typed.

I'm hesitant to change the TechBase doc, but nepomuksearch:/ seems
really messed up

Also, is nepomuksearch:/ supposed to work in Konqueror, which I rarely
use? Whatever I enter, Konqueror's favicon changes to the Nepomuk
logo, but there are never any matches and my text is truncated to
nepomukserver:/

--
=S Page