[Nepomuk] Bookmarking - rebooted

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Fri Aug 26 09:38:34 UTC 2011

On 08/25/2011 04:48 PM, Ivan Čukić wrote:
>> document our bookmark points to but we should rather properly define the
>> excerpt that we want to remember - a piece of text, part of an image,
>
> For me, the position is as important as the excerpt is. Or, those can
> even be thought of as a pair of completely different things.
>
> the originating concepts from the real world:
> - a bookmark - a point where something begins (usually where the user
> last left the book - the beginning of an unread part).
> - an excerpt - a specific stand-alone portion of the text that the
> user writes in a notebook while reading a book. (or if he doesn't mind
> writing in the book, underlined portion of the text :) )
>
> Why I don't think that an excerpt can be a good substitute in all cases (I
> 'm looking at this from the perspective of learning something from a
> book - I think it is the most complex use-case when books are
> concerned)
> - on a more technical side - you can't expect the user to go and
> select a range of 5-6 pages of interest, and then 'excerpt them' :) -
> in the case of bookmarks, it is just 'click to bookmark the current
> position'

You have to look at this from a design point of view. Of course I do not
want users to do that. But conceptually it is the same thing: a
classical bookmark "marks" the content starting at a certain point up to
the end. So it can be stored in the same way which is important since it
makes working with the information much simpler.

> - excerpts don't always need to be independent of the rest of the text

I never want them to be. I do not want to store the excerpt
independently. The point is to mark the excerpt (we might need a better
name) but let it be a fully qualified IE in the database as compared to
some artificial bookmark instance.

> - excerpts don't always need to be unique in a book

I don't know what you mean here.

> - the area for marking is not always with hard edges, that is some
> topic of interest doesn't need to start and end at a certain place.
> Think of a writer building up towards a theorem (fuzzy start), then
> writing the theorem, writing the proof, and then some remarks about it
> and consequences (fuzzy ending).

I suppose you mean a reference into a book which is not finished and can
change?
If so this could be handled by either leaving the end of the excerpt
open or define a special marker which means "up to the end".

> Can we just create a /generic/ place property that will be a rectangle
> for images, page/paragraph/... for books, location on a map etc.?

I think that is pretty much what I mean. I never wanted to extract
information from the original resource. I only want to reference it via
nie:hasLogicalPart, ie. properly describe which part of the text or
image we mean.