[Nepomuk] incorrect search results after file modifications

john terragon terragonjohn at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 15 07:45:52 CEST 2011

Hi.
I've activated kde desktop search and nepomuk for the first time with the 4.6.1 release but I'm having some problems with the correctness of the searc results. As a quick try, I set the indexable folders to a couple of them containing about 3500 files and 300 subdirs. After the initial indexing this is what I get:

1) If I create, from console, a new file "strange_name.txt" containing a single word strange_word_1, then apparently it is immediately indexed by nepomuk and searching either for name or content with dolphin I get the correct file.

2) If I modify "strange_name.txt" _from_console_ changing strange_word_1 with strange_word_2, then searching for "strange_word_2" with dolphin I don't get any result and I still get "strange_name.txt" if I look for "strange_word_1". Not only it does not appear to update the index immediately but even after hours still no results for strange_word_2.

3) If I modify "strange_name.txt" as in 2) but with a kde apps (kwrite) then I get "strange_name.txt" as a result of searching for content with "strange_word_2" BUT I still get "strange_name.txt" if i search for "strange_word_1" (which is not there anymore). And this is generalized: if I do n changes with "strange_word_1",...."strange_word_n" I will still get
"strange_name.txt" no matter which one of the strange_word I use to search.

Even though I'm just indexing 3500 files I increased the max_user_watches to 524288, as described in
I read that blog post http://www.afiestas.org/nepomuk-is-not-fast-is-instant/  (hoping that such an high number would induce nepomuk to put an inotify watch for each file indexed) but the results are still the same.

Is this supposed to happen? Is it a known bug? Because performances with virtuoso are not bad (besides some crashes during the scanning) but the correctness of the searches after changes in the files is a big problem, for me at least.

I'm using debian unstable with the 4.6.1 (semi)-official kde packages from
http://qt-kde.debian.net/.

Best
john