[Nepomuk] Re: Some (a lot of) ideas for/issues with the Nepomuk ontologies

Andrew Lake jamboarder at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 19:48:02 CEST 2011

Sebastian Trüg" wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> before creating tons of tickets for SDO I would like to discuss some of
> the issues I see with the ontologies. So here goes. Please comment.
>
> * Would it make sense to create "nco:hasContactMedium
>  rdfs:subPropertyOf nie:hasLogicalPart" (in that case
>  nco:ContactMedium would have to be made a nie:InformationElement.).
>  The alternative is nao:hasSubResource. But how are the two properties
>  related?
>
> * Should nie:hasPart and nie:hasLogicalPart be subproperties of
>  nao:hasSubResource?

Makes sense to me.+1

> * Should we not use nfo:Website as range for a property like
>  nco:websiteUrl

I hesitated on this one since it seems like nco:website might have
been a better property, but not a big deal. +1

> * nie:created should NOT be a sub property of nao:created. The latter
>  refers to the RDF resource while the former refers to the DataObject

+1

> * nao:creator like the other nao properties should refer to the creator
>  of the resource itself (in the database) as compared to the creator
>  of the content (of a nie:informationElement or nie:DataObject). This
>  includes files. Thus, properties like nco:creator should NOT be
>  sub-properties of nao:creator.

Makes sense to me. +1

> * We need a property to state who created the content of a
>  nie:InformationElement. We have nco:creator but it refers to
>  DataObjects.

In version 0.6 of SDO, I notice that the domain of nco:creator is
actually nie:InformationElement not nie:DataObject even though the
rdfs:comment says "Creator of the data object".

I almost wish we could just have multiple domains for this property
(or just set the domain to rdfs:Resource) and let the data provide the
semantics:
 - nie:InformationElement is the content/work/interpretation (e.g. song)
 - nie:DataObject is an instance/representation of the
content/work/interpretation (nie:InformationElement) (e.g. the MP3
file)
 - If nco:creator is a property of a nie:InformationElement resource
then the creator is of the content/work/interpretation. (e.g. creator
of the song)
 - If nco:creator is a property of a nie:DataObject resource then the
creator is of the instance/representation of the
content/work/interpretation. (e.g. creator of the MP3 file)

Of course, the problem is if the resource is set to be both an
nie:InformationElement and nie:DataObject.  However, I assume that
shouldn't happen if we're properly maintaining
interpretation/representation separation using nie:InformationElement
nie:hasPart nie:DataObject and nie:DataObject nie:isPartOf
nie:InformationElement.

Hope this helps,
Andrew (Jamboarder) Lake