[Nepomuk] Using nepomuk data for personal website.

Nigel Tummers nigel at snowwie.nl
Tue Sep 28 02:01:15 CEST 2010

Hello everyone,

First of all, I don't have a real question nor request but rather want to show
my interest in this project. I think this is one of the big pieces of solving
the Internet-chaos puzzle, for that my respect to all of you making this
possible.

Ever since I set up my first web server I became more and more interested in
the world of Linux. 7 years later I have forsaken the thing named Windows, and
am happily using Kubuntu (KDE 4.5.1) with an OpenSuse server running Kolab,
LAMP and Virtuoso(For testing).

At the moment my goal is to create a personal website which uses the Nepomuk
data as it's base. I have a written down loads of ideas for it, one being
crazier then the other.. In my mind the possibilities are endless, but at first
I need to actually retrieve the useful information from Virtuoso.

So far I tried accessing it using SPARQL and played with it using PHP + ARC.
But SPARQL is hard to learn, and the way Nepomuk stores it's data doesn't make
it any easier either. Reading the Nepomuk / Soprano source will probably give
me some answers, although as a simple PHP scripter I'm still a bit afraid of
it  ^_^

It would be great to have some comments on the idea and possibly some tips on
how to make it happen. (Virtuoso's vspx, or Virtuoso + PHP, or...?) Thus far I
found all answers to my "problems" by proper searching, but this is finally
something I cannot solve on my own.

Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work! I am watching the development as
close as possible.

Sincerely,
Nigel Tummers