[Nepomuk] Indexed data disappearing

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 17:52:43 CEST 2010

Hi Andrew

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Andrew Lake <jamboarder at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there any situation under which indexed data would be cleared from
> the repository?  I'm trying to hunt down a problem where occasionally,
> as far as I can tell, I lose all the indexed information.
>
> Another thought is about the storage of non-technically extractable
> properties with resources that were created by strigi.  If I recall
> correctly, indexed data is stored in a separate context for data that
> is technically extractable and thus re-creatable. Does non-technically
> extractable properties like rating and nuao properties of that
> resource end up getting stored in that context as well?  Sorry if I'm
> completely misunderstanding, well..., everything.

No, they are not stored in the same context. The indexed properties
(technically extractable and thus re-creatable :) are stored in a *
nrl:DiscardableInstanceBase* whereas the non-discard-able properties like
ratings and tags are stored in *nrl:InstanceBase*.

> In any event, whatever is causing the loss of indexed data in my case
> also causes a loss of this other valuable non-extractable which can't
> be (easily) recreated.  So I'm grateful for any ideas you might be
> able to provide.

The only case that I can think of is that you were trying to move the files
and your metadatamover service isn't working properly. This happens if the
metadatamover is not able to create all the inotify watches that it
requires. This happened to me when I moved to Arch, their inotify watch
limit was a little too low ( /proc/sys/fs/inotify/max_user_watches ).

Could you check if your metadatamover service is working? You can do that by
moving ( not copying ) a file and checking if it's metadata is still intact.

- Vishesh Handa

PS: A folder is also a file.