[Nepomuk] Nepomuk Facets - next generation (or previous generation?)

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Mon Sep 6 22:18:59 CEST 2010

Good evening (or whatever),

after a lot of thinking, several setbacks, and some discussion, I went
back to Alessandro's original base design where each Facet is a QWidget.
Sounds stupid but sometimes I need to go all the way myself to see it. :P
Anyway, I was not able to solve all the problems with the previous
attempts and finally:
- Facets are a GUI-centric thing and make not much sense without a GUI.
- Does a Model really make sense (I know I was the one fighting for it
  before)? I don't think so anymore for several reasons:
  * It is very unlikely that we ever use the facets in different views.
  * Not all facets can be displayed in a list (rating makes more sense
    as stars)
  * Several facets need buttons for custom ranges or similar which also
    do not make much sense in views.
- The new approach allows to use Facets separately or through the
  FacetWidgetController. And extending should be very easy by using one
  of the base classes.

Attached you find a patch for kdelibs and kdebase (dolphin) for playing
around.

Comments?