[Nepomuk] Adding Nepomuk integration into Basket Note Pads

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Thu Sep 2 10:59:11 CEST 2010

On 09/02/2010 08:39 AM, Amir Pakdel wrote:
> I was playing with KUrl::protocol(), KMimeType::findByUrl(KUrl),
> KMimeTypeTrader::query(QString), new KRun(KUrl, 0) and some others and
> finally understood what are MIME and KIO for :)
> Protocols only indicate how files should be reached, and afterwards,
> regarding to the content of the files itself, MIME type is determined.
> It is the MIME-type that dictates the application used for opening the
> file. Therefore, there is no point in setting the protocol to something
> like basket://
> Please correct me if I am wrong.

this is correct.

> Moreover, I saw that Nepomuk::SearchRunner::run performs a KRun(url, 0)
> in which the url is retrieved from the matched Nepomuk::Resource

yes.

> A have attached a basket file (baskets are containers of the actual
> notes) which is a simple XML.

For the list I attach it again.
Most of what is in that file could be stored in Nepomuk. The only
questionable thing is formatting - ie. bg color and the like.
For starters (since we do not have the previously mentioned rdf type
registry) we could store each note in an html file (looks like you are
doing that already) and then give that file an additional type of
pimo:Note. Then we can tag it, set a title, add a comment, relate it to
other things.
Note groups could be modeled via pimo:partOf, ie. a set of pimo:Note
resources are pimo:partOf a group resource which would be of type
pimo:Thing or a new pimo:Thing subtype Basket, maybe?

> As a result, in order to be able to open basket notes by searching them
> in KRunner, two solutions came to my mind:
> 1. In Nepomuk::SearchRunner::actionsForMatch we could retrieve
> mime-types from Nepomuk and add multiple actions based on these mime-types
> 2. We could add a MIME-type for basket files into KDE. In this case, we
> could add a KDE4 file analyzer
> (http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Writing_file_analyzers)

I think with the above solution there is no need for anthing new. The
note files would be analyzed by strigi, thus indexing their content. And
they would have the additional pimo:Note type which allows us to search
for them nicely.