[Nepomuk] Adding Nepomuk integration into Basket Note Pads

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Thu Sep 2 10:51:49 CEST 2010

Let's bring this discussion to the mailing list. A quick recap:

Amir wants Nepomuk support in Basket to be able to search notes.
He started by adding tags to resources that he created for the notes
since that is what the tutorial does.
But his problem was with opening the tagged notes which would be done by
the browser (nepomuk:/ KIO slave).
Thus, I proposed to start off by saving the note in a file and tagging
and annotating that file.
A next step would mean to introduce a system similar to what we have for
mimetypes: applications should be able to register for specific RDF
types they can handle.
I also brought Laura into the discussion since she faces similar
problems with SemNotes. Also it would make sense to either merge the
tools or make their data compatible through Nepomuk.

Then Akonadi was mentioned and the always problematic question arose:
should we store the data in Nepomuk or Akonadi. Well, I am all for
Nepomuk since we would duplicate everything there anyway to be able to
search for it.

And this is where we are now:

On 09/01/2010 08:20 PM, Amir Pakdel wrote:
> In fact I do not know much about Akonadi. Nevertheless, since I am
> synchronizing my note files in multiple computers right now, using
> Akonadi instead of plain files might affect users who are synchronizing
> their notes in a way like me. Therefore, we should think of a
> synchronization mechanism too. However, we can do the first part
> (storing metadata in Nepomuk) and in mean time discuss the rest.
>
> Sebastian, is there any way to synchronize instanses of Nepomuk (or
> Akonadi)?

Akonadi does not do syncing AFAIK. Nepomuk sync support is developed by
Vishesh at the moment. Vishesh, how far away are we from syncing for
example a set of notes to another computer?

>     > > But for now: Laura, how are you storing notes again?
>
>     atm everything about the notes including the content of the notes
>     themselves is stored in Nepomuk, as triples. The notes are of type
>     pimo:Note. For each note i store the content, as string value of the
>     property nao:htmlContent, title, tags, creation time, last
>     modification time, and related resources.
>
> Does KRunner know how to open your notes? Can you search and open them
> from within the KDE Run Command or you are searching only inside the
> SemNotes?

the KRunner only knows KIO - thus, it can open files and opens the rest
through KIO. In the case of Nepomuk resources this means the browser
(preferably Konqueror) with the nepomuk:/ KIO slave. The latter provides
an HTML page with the properties of the resources. Lately we also
redirect most of the resources to queries listing the related
resources/files.