[Nepomuk] _NEW_WM_CURRENT_URI

Michal Hruby michal.mhr at gmail.com
Sat May 29 21:19:15 CEST 2010

Hi,

lately we've seen more interest in semantic desktop, and one thing we're
missing is a standardized way to determine what document(-s) is an
application working with (see [1] for more background info).

Nepomuk guys are already starting to use special DBus service to which
supported apps talk, and we in Zeitgeist are also using plugins for
various apps to tell us which resource they use.
Therefore I suggest adding new X property where windows would indicate
which resource is currently opened inside them and update this property
when another document is opened or tab with different document is activated.

There were also suggestions to make this property a list of uris, but
I'm still not convinced this is a good idea - we shouldn't automatically
assume that all uris opened in an app are related to each other (see
people using lots of tabs in browsers, never-ending list of uris for
media-players, ...).

This will also allow implementing document-based pagers to push the
limits of current application-based ones.

Regards,
Michal Hruby

[1] http://mhr3.blogspot.com/2010/05/lets-make-users-lives-easier.html