[Nepomuk] hey, nepomuk works, sorta

Bud Rogers budr at netride.net
Mon Mar 29 00:13:24 CEST 2010

Running debian testing here with a few packages from unstable, and kde 4.4.2
from experimental-snapshots.  I've been interested in nepomuk and the semantic
desktop since I first heard about them more than a year ago.

I've been trying searches in dolphin occasionally without success.  I've been
using for my test searches part or all of a filename that I know exists in my
~/Images directory.  I've deleted the nepomuk repository and restarted desktop
search several times, all to no avail.

Just now on a whim I tried "bashrc" as a search term.  To my surprise it
instantly found three files that contain the term "bashrc", but not ~/.bashrc
or another file called bashrc in a subdirectory, which seems a little
counterintuitive to me.

FWIW, I've also been playing with the latest KDE from svn, in part because I
thought nepomuk was "not quite there yet" in 4.4.x.  I've been disappointed
because it also couldn't seem to pass my test searches.  Wonder of wonders, it
also instantly found the three files containing "bashrc".  Ah well, it would be
a dull world if things always went exactly as I expected.

So, the good news is nepomuk works here and probably has for a while.
Apparently I just need to learn how to use it properly.  I've been reading
what I could find about nepomuk at Sebastian's blog, semanticdesktop.org, and
n.k.o among others.  Is there a howto somewhere that might help bring me up to
speed?  Any pointers would be most appreciated.

--
Bud Rogers <budr at netride net>