[Nepomuk] In need of input for a desktop search default behaviour

Leo Sauermann leo.sauermann at dfki.de
Thu Mar 18 23:06:44 CET 2010

my recommendation:

google has only "nepomuk" and does not even support "nepo*".

so, our dear users who are google-trained, will usually try "nepomuk"
anyway.

but... the gui should show somewhere that you can do a "complex" search
where such options (such as *) will be shown, otherwise no one finds out
(.. people don't read instructions)

fyi:
in nepomuk-java we had "nepo* is* a* lovely* project*" searches mostly.
this worked quite ok but of course is slower and we had not so many
users as nepomuk-kde, so I would not base the decision on this but
rather on google/...

best
Leo

It was Sebastian Trueg who said at the right time 10.03.2010 16:11 the
following words:
> Currently the Nepomuk query API will add a wildcard '*' to each full
> text search term so terms like "Nepo" will also match "Nepomuk".
> Recently some concern has been raised[1] about this practice and I tend
> to agree with it.
> Basically the competing idea is to not add a wildcard automatically but
> let the user specify it like so:
>
> "nepo*"
>
> The advantage is that 1. we would support both wildcard matching and
> non-wildcard matching and 2. simple full-text queries would be speed up
> a little bit. The disadvantage is that it would be a behavioral change
> in the API (the old behavior is not documented though).
>
> So I need some opinions here.
>
> Thanks a lot.
> Cheers,
> Sebastian
>
> [1] http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=154&t=86218&start=0

Dr. Leo Sauermann       http://www.dfki.de/~sauermann

Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer
Kuenstliche Intelligenz DFKI GmbH
Trippstadter Strasse 122
P.O. Box 2080           Fon:   +43 6991 gnowsis
D-67663 Kaiserslautern  Fax:   +49 631 20575-102
Germany                 Mail:  leo.sauermann at dfki.de

Geschaeftsfuehrung:
Prof.Dr.Dr.h.c.mult. Wolfgang Wahlster (Vorsitzender)
Dr. Walter Olthoff
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Prof. Dr. h.c. Hans A. Aukes
Amtsgericht Kaiserslautern, HRB 2313