[Nepomuk] Brainstorming: Metadata Sharing

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Wed Jun 30 13:30:49 CEST 2010

The more I read your discussion the more I am convinced that caching
remote metadata locally is a problem. The two reasons are as Artem said:

1. What to copy? In the worst case the whole graph is connected and we
loose information unless we copy everything.
2. How to make sure the data is up-to-date?

Still, let me draft you the ideas we came up with at the last Nepomuk
workshop:
We wanted to allow users to share certain resources or bits of metadata
with other users. This information would then be copied to the
interested parties, marking the origin in the enclosing graphs. The
resource URIs would not be changed since they are unique (this is a
theoretical assumption that sadly does not hold in reality since the
QUuid implementation creates a lot of duplicates - more about that
below). In the case of files, however, the nie:urls would be a special
kind of URL - something like telepathy:/<user>/<path-on-users-host> - so
KIO could handle those automatically if they appear as search results.

Another approach for resource URIs was to have a layer between local and
remote data that adds username information to the URIs. An example would be:
  nepomuk:/res/<UUID>
becomes
  nepomuk:/<username>@<something>/res/<UUID>
when copied to other hosts.
This would solve the UUIDs not being unique problem which keeping the
nepomuk:/ protocol and allowing a simple converting in both ways.

So maybe a middle way would be: we only copy the metadata that we "need"
or "want". We never copy strigi extracted data (since we can recreate
that once we have the file) but when copying the file we copy metadata
the other user created - like ratings or comments, but also relations to
other things. These things will then be referenced with URIs as above
and can be fetched on demand.
Thus, there would be no need to store all related resources. And in case
we want to use those resources in queries we query the remote client again.