[Nepomuk] Brainstorming: Metadata Sharing

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 21:31:38 CEST 2010

I was planning to have #3 ( no synchronization ), but I think #1 would be
better. #2 is a compromise between the two that won't really help us.
Relations are what define resources. Without them, they are just unique
identifiers.

#1 seems interesting, but we'll have to implement a way to synchronize the
offline metadata when the user comes online are performs another search.
There is the added problem of privacy. Suppose user B contains A's metadata,
and A marks its metadata as no longer sharable, we should probably delete
A's metadata from B, but B could possible prevent this or make copies.

As the whole object being a resource problem. Yes, we'll have to copy
everything about the object as well. There is no way to avoid it, but
typically every resource contains a maximum of 20 properties, so it
shouldn't be that much.

BTW, it would be better to have resource uris in the form of
nepomuk:/telepathy/whatever instead of telepathy:/nepomuk/whatever. There
are loads of checks in the Nepomuk Core and services which make decisions
based on a url's scheme. So it would be better to stick to "nepomuk".

*What relations should be copied?*
One option would to be copy all the relations ( shouldn't be too much ), but
I think we should only copy the relations returned by the result of a query.
That way it would be a lot easier to determine what relations other users
are allowed to access, and would prevent copying or relations the user
doesn't want to share. Copying only the transfered relations would require
less requests.
*
P2P Network*
That was the whole idea behind metadata sharing. Hopefully I'll be able to
implement some form of it. :)
*
Who to query?
*One option is that we have select queries, where the user chooses the
contact before performing the query. The other is to perform the query on
all the contacts ( might be a little expensive )

*Sharing others metadata *
User A has a some fragment of B's metadata. If C queries A, should it also
return B's metadata? If yes, how do we deal with privacy?
*
Forwarded Queries?*
Should one contacts forward it's query to it's other clients? If we forget
about privacy for a second, this would be amazing. This would be ideal for
storing a huge knowledge base on multiple systems.

Just some random ideas

- Vishesh Handa