[Nepomuk] Nepomuk KIO Slave

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Thu Jul 15 13:26:17 CEST 2010

Hey.

I've implemented the KIO slave to work with all the resources ( includes
Contacts, Albums, etc )  I've done it in a generic manner, and we could even
handle tags the same way. It works fine but I have a coupe of concerns -

* If the Resource, say Contact, is used in some other place. For example a
music album or whatever. The current approach would show the music album
that as well. That is not what the user would want when they click on the
contact name next to "Performer: " in the information panel. It would be
better to somehow associate it with the property as well. That way if It
would only returns the resources whose nmm:performer is that Contact.

* This totally obliterates the need for the extremely handy
ResourcePageGenerator. Should we remove it?

* I've explicitly set the limit to 1000 for now ( Just for testing ) By
default it is 10, which doesn't seem right. When I choose a Contact I want
to see all the files associated with it. Or at least enough to fill the
page, and if I choose the scroll down they should automatically fill up. I'm
not sure what to do about this.

* It's damn slow. I can actually see the Resources being filled up! But then
this has nothing to do with the Nepomuk KIO slave. Any idea what makes the
Nepomuk search kio slave so slow? The same query runs in less than a second
manually ( via nepomukcmd ). I've not looked into the code throughly, but I
will. It's too slow for me.

* The title doesn't get set. 1 never works. 2 works sometimes. I'll test
more, and find out the problem.

* It's ugly and looks out of place! It there any chance of changing
Dolphin's Information Panel to reflect the search. Like maybe if we're
searching for an Album we show the album's cover instead of the Nepomuk
icon, and maybe show the albums properties in the side panel. If it's
possible, please direct me to the appropriate code base ( or file ) and I'll
have a look at it.

- Vishesh Handa