[Nepomuk] Activities protocol

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 18:09:11 CEST 2010

On July 14, 2010 03:16:15 Sebastian Trüg wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 11:53 AM, Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > First of all, I hope you are on plasma-devel since a lot of people
> > didn't take me seriously concerning the cross-posting...
>
> did not find the thread in stupid thunderbird (if only kmail would work
> again here)
>
> >> So applications need to notify it about opening a doc manually? I am
> >> asking because I started implementing the exact same thing and we should
> >
> > Yes, the apps report the name, window id and the uri of the resource
> > opened (be it a document, folder or some internal uri)
> >
> >> really not duplicate code.
> >
> > This is in the ActivityManager kded module.
>
> I will have a look.
>
> >> The idea on my end is to create nuao:DesktopEvent instances which link
> >> to the opened file and the application opening it. For the latter the
> >> ontology is not stable yet. This is something we should fix as soon as
> >> possible so that we can encode applications properly.
> >
> > I wasn't going for anything this pedantic (was trying to limit the
> > data and not remember every event) but it is fine with me to go that
> > extra mile.
>
> It is worth it since then we have a lot more information to do cool
> things with.
>
> >> This is how I think it should be done: rather than linking the file
> >> directly to the activity you should link the desktop event to the
> >> activity. That way the information is exact and can later be used to
> >> suggest the link between file and activity to the user.
> >
> > The problem I see here is /suggesting/. The user usually opens a lot
> > of documents, and I wouldn't really like to have to ask him/her "do
> > you want to add this to the activity" for every one. That is, if you
> > have an idea about the UI that would make this job non-irritating, I'm
> > more than happy to hear it.
> >
> > From my POV, I'd rather have a system that has >90% precision which
> > doesn't ask the user anything than to have it 100% and annoys the user
> > constantly. (something like the best package manager - Slackware's -
> > aka the user :) )
>
> The suggestion thing was just an idea. You can also use the links to
> show related documents for the activity. However, as the documents would
> not be linked directly but via the event the link would automatically be
> "marked" as being added automatically and thus, less important than a
> manually added one.
> When I say "suggestion" I do not necessarily mean to suggest the link
> between file and activity but any kind of suggestion. This includes
> suggesting the file when showing related stuff for an activity.

what's all this event stuff? are you doing.. something like zeitgeist or
something?
this is still something the application will have to support, I assume, so we
probably want just one simple way for it to report the docuements it has open.

in kwin, what I need is "which activities are associated with this wid?", so
that I can filter out windows that aren't on the current activity. there can
be no levels here, no suggestion; either a window is shown or it is not.
I mean, I have absolutely nothing against you guys using levels yourselves,
it's just that kwin needs a simple yes/no when it asks. :)