[Nepomuk] Activities protocol

Sebastian Trüg trueg at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 20:19:59 CEST 2010

On 07/14/2010 06:09 PM, Chani wrote:
>> The suggestion thing was just an idea. You can also use the links to
>> show related documents for the activity. However, as the documents would
>> not be linked directly but via the event the link would automatically be
>> "marked" as being added automatically and thus, less important than a
>> manually added one.
>> When I say "suggestion" I do not necessarily mean to suggest the link
>> between file and activity but any kind of suggestion. This includes
>> suggesting the file when showing related stuff for an activity.
>>

> what's all this event stuff? are you doing.. something like zeitgeist or
> something?

indeed. Only integrated with Nepomuk and the semantic desktop. Allows
for some cool things.

> this is still something the application will have to support, I assume, so we
> probably want just one simple way for it to report the docuements it has open.

Exactly. My approach was rather similar to Ivan's I think: I have a dbus
service that handles all the events. Apps simply call a set of methods
on that interface. In case of non-KDE apps this can be done by KRun or
even Konsole. I think here is where Ivan and I should merge our work.

> in kwin, what I need is "which activities are associated with this wid?", so
> that I can filter out windows that aren't on the current activity. there can
> be no levels here, no suggestion; either a window is shown or it is not.
> I mean, I have absolutely nothing against you guys using levels yourselves,
> it's just that kwin needs a simple yes/no when it asks. :)

it is up to you (or the service you ask) where you draw the line -
whether automatically annotated files are included or not.