[Nepomuk] Activities protocol

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Wed Jul 14 11:53:48 CEST 2010

Hi Sebastian,

First of all, I hope you are on plasma-devel since a lot of people
didn't take me seriously concerning the cross-posting...

> So applications need to notify it about opening a doc manually? I am
> asking because I started implementing the exact same thing and we should

Yes, the apps report the name, window id and the uri of the resource
opened (be it a document, folder or some internal uri)

> really not duplicate code.

This is in the ActivityManager kded module.

> The idea on my end is to create nuao:DesktopEvent instances which link
> to the opened file and the application opening it. For the latter the
> ontology is not stable yet. This is something we should fix as soon as
> possible so that we can encode applications properly.

I wasn't going for anything this pedantic (was trying to limit the
data and not remember every event) but it is fine with me to go that
extra mile.

> This is how I think it should be done: rather than linking the file
> directly to the activity you should link the desktop event to the
> activity. That way the information is exact and can later be used to
> suggest the link between file and activity to the user.

The problem I see here is /suggesting/. The user usually opens a lot
of documents, and I wouldn't really like to have to ask him/her "do
you want to add this to the activity" for every one. That is, if you
have an idea about the UI that would make this job non-irritating, I'm
more than happy to hear it.