[Nepomuk] kde-4.4, virtuoso-6.1.0, and virtuosoconverter

Tom Albers toma at kde.org
Thu Feb 4 16:16:34 CET 2010

Op Thursday 4 February 2010 16:02 schreef u:
> On 02/04/2010 07:43 AM, Sebastian Trueg wrote:
> > Rex Dieter wrote:
> >> FYI,
> >> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Nepomuk+Virtuoso+Converter
> >>
> >> 1.  The requirements for kde-4.4/nepomuk have changed pretty late in the
> >> game (after all 4.4rc's).
> >
> > No, they did not. I always said that Virtuoso 6 would be the dependency
> > for KDE 4.4.

You can not add a new dependency for KDE 4.4 the day before the release without testing. I consider it a new feature which is not allowed since ages. for KDE 4.5 I've planned to add it to the release schedule explicitly to make it even more clear. It is too late in the cycle for 4.4 to change this dependency. Really. Some packagers can not add a new dependency to their repository in one day and have prepared the KDE 4.4 packaging based on the 4.4 release candidates we have given them. Please don't do this.

> Fact is that we're in a bad situation of now requiring something that's
> been untested and it's data is incompatible with what was tested.

+1
Unacceptable imho.

> > Anyway, the converter is hacky tool allowing early adopters of KDE 4.4
> > who already tries Nepomuk with Virtuoso 5 (and thus, compile
> > themselves!) to easily convert their data.

Distro's who have provided RC's to their users are now more or less obliged to run that script. Virtuoso was made a hard dependency (at least for anyone compiling kdepim) so all svn users also need to update.

Best,

Toma