[Nepomuk] Bangarang player media library

Sebastian Trueg trueg at kde.org
Tue Feb 2 09:31:59 CET 2010

>> The problem here is that Bangarang uses Taglib which cannot be used in
>>  Strigi. Strigi is stream-based while Taglib is not. This is a well known
>>  and old problem which leads to so much rewriting of code for Strigi.
>> So converting the Banganrang analyzer to lsa is not an option, at least not
>> until the latter becomes a non-stream-based API.
>
> This isn't at all correct. It isn't a big problem to use taglib or whatever
> else for files. However one of features of libstreamanalyzer is that it can
> analyze many other things besides plain files. So even if we had a taglib
> analyzer, libstreamanalyzer would produce no data for eg email attachments.
>
> What is even nastier is that fact that Taglib internally uses streams to
> handle files but doesn't expose this :(

Hm, maybe it should be patched or branched then since all this code
duplication is not great.

> Also you guys can expect media analyzers get much better soon. I'm working on
> it right now.

It has been a problem for years now. If it gets solved soon - all the
better. Still it is annoying that taglib cannot be reused.

> It's better to get file indexing service do the dirty work, then the only thing
> Bangarang would need to do is to ask the service to index the needed file(s).

That would indeed be best. And if Strigi's indexer get as good as Taglib
we do not have a problem anymore. :)