[Nepomuk] Re: same nepomuk db for several users

Markus Leuthold nepomuk at titlis.org
Sun Dec 5 17:54:03 CET 2010

> On 12/02/2010 01:24 AM, Markus Leuthold wrote:
> > Hello list
> >
> > We share our computer among several persons, each with a separate user
> > account. We want to have a shared nepomuk database. What's the best way
> > to do this? Creating a symlink of ~/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk to a shared
> > folder?
> >
> > best regards
> > Kusi

> This is tricky. It could be hacked with links indeed. But then no two
> users could ever be logged in at the same time.
> Why do you want to share the database?
>
> Cheers,
> Sebastian

There are many possible use-cases for sharing tags. Some real-world examples:

- me and my girlfriend are planning our vacation. She's tagging documents,
pictures etc with the tag "vacation-2010". In my account, I'd like to see now
what is already available when I'm organizing our vacations in my account.

- we're preparing a playlist for a party. We'd like to set the tag "party-
playlist" in dolphin, running in each one's account. Since we're in a hurry,
we're tagging the music at the same time on two different computers. So it
should be possible to have the nepomuk db on a remote location.

As mentioned later in this thread, not all tags should be shared. It would be
nice to have several nepomuk-dbs (private/shared). I understand that it's
quite tricky to get the sharing right: It doesn't make sense to share tags for
object which are not shared.
You could say that tags of files which are readable by both accounts should
also be saved in a shared nepomuk-db. Probably best would be an extended user
interface where the user can choose the nepomuk location.

I'd like to mention that the workflow in digikam works excellent! We have all
our photos in a shared directory. The sqlite3 file digikam4.db is read/write
for all users, so each of us can tag photos (even concurrently) in digikam in
our own accounts.

Talking about concurrent access: are you sure 2 nepomuk clients cannot access
the db at the same time? It works with digikam. You can have two running
instances of digikam (in two accounts), and when you change metadata located
in digikam4.db, the change is immediately visible in the other running
instance of digikam

cheers,
Kusi