[Nepomuk] Re: same nepomuk db for several users

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 03:02:54 CET 2010

On Friday 03 December 2010 14:19:46 Bèrto ëd Sèra wrote:
> Hi all,
> related to nepouk
> > One effect would on the ontology side. If two users both have the
> > same set of relations describing say the rating for a file you need to
> > add extra
> > relations
> > to indicate the user.
> > The more serious issue is security. With a single user model there is no
> > need
> > for
> > any kind of security. Adding security or making a system multi-user as an
> > after
> > thought
> > is non trivial if thought hasn't been given up front.
>
> And how does this fit with the upcoming p2p features? I thought nepomuk was
> going to allow co-operative tagging and exchange of material. Please
> clarify.

I think my last email was the explanation you were looking for.

One more thing I could add is that multiple nepomuk instances doesn't
necessarily mean multiple backend DB instances. This means that at least in
theory the DB backend could be smart and not store several copies of
strings/triples for each user if they have identical triples in their
instances, which would come as close as it gets to the potential storage
efficiency of (2) and is an optimization that's not really related to nepomuk.

However, this is not a priority. We need to get sharing working first, quash
bugs and then maybe we could prod virtuoso into doing some optimizations that
will be useful to nepomuk. Still, we aren't talking about huge gains because
there are none to be had.

--
Evgeny