[Nepomuk] ontology related advice request

Laura Dragan aprilush at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:58:40 CEST 2009

Hi,

I'm looking at updating the Note class used in SemNotes and I could
use a second opinion from somebody who knows the ontologies and API
better.

Currently the notes are of type pimo:Note. They have the following
properties (not exclusively):

- title -> dc:title, also sets the nao:prefLabel to the same value
- creation time -> nao:created
- last write -> nao:lastModified
- tags -> nao:hasTag
- referenced resources -> pimo:isRelated
- content -> semnotes:htmlContent

Implementation-wise, the Note class is a subclass of
Nepomuk::Resource, but it will be changed to a subclass of
Nepomuk::Thing after all this.

There are 2 questions:

1. What is the best choice to replace the ugly semnotes:htmlContent property?

I would like to replace it with some existing property in an existing
ontology. This would allow me to delete the ontology that comes with
the application. I thought for a while that pimo:wikiText might do the
job, but after some consideration I'm not so sure any more.

2. Should I keep storing the notes in the RDF store or should I use
files on disk?

Currently the note and all its properties are stored in the
repository, including the content. Initially I was expecting that
notes would be small, therefore not really worth storing in
independent files on disk. But after looking at the way that the few
users I know (including myself) take notes, I found that some notes
can be quite long and elaborated. That's why I'm now wondering if it
wouldn't be better to just store them in files and let Strigi index
the files. This way the indexing of note content is not lost.

This question makes the first one redundant in a way, because if notes
should not be stored in the repository, the semnotes:htmlContent would
be anyway removed and the corresponding file would become
pimo:groundingOccurence for the note instance.

Sorry for the lengthy email :)
Thanks for reading,

Laura