[Nepomuk] Dolphin, nepomuk, trash:/

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 13:59:28 CET 2009

В сообщении от Суббота 28 ноября 2009 14:05:36 автор Sam S. написал:
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Evgeny Egorochkin
>
> <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > If user deletes an mp3 file, it does make sense to stop storing technical
> > data such as bitrate or duration. However if the user tags the song as
> > "utter s*", it makes sense to keep the rating + artist, title etc.
>
> What about privacy issues?

Privacy issue is a valid one.

> When a user deletes a file from disk, and then clears all "recently
> used documents" lists / playlists / etc. that the file was in,
> shouldn't he be able to rest assured that no trace of it will be left
> on the system?

It's definitely possible to purge such ratings data in the same way it's
possible to purge history and what not.

> (Well, at least none that will ever resurface without
> elaborate file system data recovery methods being employed for this
> specific purpose...)

Data recovery is usually either very easy or almost impossible. So elaborate
methods is a very vague concept.

A much better idea is to use fulldisk encryption instead of urgently cleaning
history and whatnot everytime you hear a knock on your door...

> If users will still see meta-data about such former files popping up
> in various places within KDE from time to time, it might lead them to
> even question the suitability of KDE as a whole as the desktop
> environment they trust with helping them to managing their personal
> data and files...
>
> "I won't be in control over my data anymore" seems to be a prevalent
> concern among users skeptical of semantic desktop technologies...
> I think nepomuk should try to obviate those concerns by providing all
> it's fabulous features and technologies in a way that is unobstrusive,
> easy to predict and doesn't leave the user feeling like he's not in
> control anymore.
> Even if that means that some things - like in the above example,
> keeping tags/ratings about deleted mp3's - should probably not be done
> by default, even though it would make sense in many cases...

Defaults are usually a matter of distro, not upstream. I don't think this is
any different from web browser cache, thumbnails, history, cookies. All these
come enabled by default in mainstream distros.

One of rationales for this is that you can't be totally clueless and secure.

--
Evgeny