[Nepomuk] Faceted browsing

Ben Martin monkeyiq at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Nov 19 06:58:54 CET 2009

You might like to take a look into Formal Concept Analysis. It allows
faceted browsing where only the minimal combination of facets is
presented to the user for any given data set.

As a disclosure, I studied FCA during my PhD so am a little bit biased
towards its use ;) The real challenges of it are the complexity of some
of the algorithms makes implementing it efficiently very difficult but
not impossible.

I also found that using dot plots to select time frames can be handy.
For example, if there is a huge burst of new images with EXIF data in a
two week interval then its a fair bet that this was a journey time and
you might like to "select" that whole window as a time constraint for
browsing, instead of "This week". As to if you infer this in your
application or as a cron job which stores such new facets in nepomuk
itself is another matter.

If you are interested in FCA, I'd recommend the following books. The
first is good for rigorous maths and the second is more approachable for
programmers.

Ganter, Bernhard; Wille, Rudolf (1998), Formal Concept Analysis:
Mathematical Foundations, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, ISBN
3-63311-62767-5 . Translated by C. Franzke.

Carpineto, Claudio; Romano, Giovanni (2004), Concept Data Analysis:
Theory and Applications, Wiley, ISBN 978-0-470-85055-8 .