[Nepomuk] Those little numbers on a faceted browsing

Alessandro Sivieri alessandro.sivieri at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 16:31:17 CET 2009

Question: in a facet which has terms like time periods ("today",
"yesterday"...) or document types ("documents", "images"...), which is the
best way of calculating the numbers betweeen parenthesis?

I mean: in a faceted browsing, I take the result list, count how many times
one of my terms applies to that result list, and write the number near the
term itself, so the user is able to know how much the list is narrowed by
selecting that term.
But if the list is constituted by XOR terms, so the user can select only
_one_ of them at a time (think of radio buttons, or a button group), it does
not make sense anymore if I update the numbers, because the list is not
narrowed if the user selects "this week" after "last week", it changes
completely...

An example:

initial situation
  today (10)
  yesterday (5)
  this week (22)
  last week (18)

the user selects something on a different facet
  today (3)
  yesterday (1)
  this week (5)
  last week (7)

the user selects something on this facet
X today (3)
  yesterday (1)
  this week (5)
  last week (7)
(I do not update the numbers here, because it makes no sense: terms are in
XOR)

the user _then_ selects something again on another facet
X today (2)
   yesterday (0)
  this week (3)
  last week (1)
(I know, with zero they should disappear; here I change the numbers, because
for example "3" is the number of results that the user will obtain)

In the end: how should those numbers behave on a XOR list (instead of the
AND list, which is presented for example for the tag facet)?
For now I simply omit them in those kind of lists...

--
Sivieri Alessandro
alessandro.sivieri at gmail.com
http://www.chimera-bellerofonte.eu/