watcher changes and ruby update on charlotte

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue Mar 15 17:09:50 GMT 2022

For a while now the mass releases haven't reliably built because the
watcher jobs would try to push to invent and some block on invent would
unpredictably stop them pushing.  I've now changed our watcher jobs to only
run one at a time which takes a bit longer but stops invent from getting
upset.  This means all the build jobs would run out of order so I've put
blocks on them to not run when watcher jobs are queued or running either so
the watchers can finish before the build happens.  Hopefully this will
allow mass releases to build in the semi-automated way they used to do.

Tooling wasn't deploying onto charlotte because the Ruby Gem Bundler stuff
was bringing in a newer release of the Ruby vcr library which needed newer
Ruby.  Our main build server is still on an old release of ubuntu.  So I've
used rbenv to install a local copy of Ruby 2.7 (it didn't like Ruby 3
either) and updated the mgmt_tooling and mgmt_job-updater jobs to use
this.  There might be other jobs which need updated to use that.
https://github.com/pangea-project/pangea-tooling/commit/d4d376cec2eebf149f072b136a6c47058a157039

Jonathan