Plasma 5.20 snafu

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Oct 14 10:41:09 BST 2020

The fail yesterday was a further fall out from the kwayland-server snapshot
on Friday.  I added a rule in neon-settings to pin the old version of
kwayland-server which was useful while it was needed but then once the 5.20
kwayland-server was wanted it caused that not to be upgraded which removed
kwin-x11 and breakage.  Although the Pin rule was removed from
neon-settings even before 5.20 started to compile there will still have
been some people who didn't get the upgrade that removed the pin rule and
went straight to the upgrade that brought in plasma 5.20 but in that case
without kwin.

Harald pointed out the best solution which was to rename the
kwayland-server library so the pin rule no long was relevant and I did that
but it took longer than I had hoped because we were also moving jobs around
to be in line with debian.

I also did snapshots without going throught the QA system to speed them up,
this is a bad thing to do and I'll make sure not to do it again, but I
don't think it would have affected the issue in this case as the Pin rules
had been changed in an earier snapshot and the issue was upgrading across
two snapshots.  The snapshot QA was being blocked by the version check
which was added and also by kde-l10n being moved so k3b-i18n is now part of
k3b.

sorry all :(

Jonathan