Suggestion: install neon packages to separate directory

Clay Weber clay at claydoh.com
Mon Feb 24 21:53:49 GMT 2020

> On February 24, 2020 at 4:10 PM Pyroman <retratserif at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But it might be a reasonable guess that those of us who use Neon, thisnon-distro, do so because of it having the latest official version ofPlasma available to us as soon as it is released, and it is possiblymore likely that newness of other software may be of value to many of us.I don't use latest software on all machines, upgrading only when surethat it's stable enough after testing. Current 5.18 Neon btw has somebugs that keeps me from upgrading (already reported).
>
> > Maybe a list of the true number of programs affected would help?I didn't try to install all Qt apps but here are two more:
> Calibre: https://pastebin.com/VPSTRpTtMusescore: https://pastebin.com/xhAdG7j4
> In the past qtcreator was affected too:https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=136886

And these are the same ones I have seen, at least since the move to 18.04 base.
These programs are arguably not very commonly installed from Ubuntu, else they would be in Ubuntu's Main, as opposed to Universe, and then I believe would not have this problem at all.

But there are also *many* - I would say most-  Qt programs that install just fine, even from Universe - Scribus, Transmission-Qt, Shotcut, Simple Screen Recorder, flameshot, and more. This is what I found in 5 minutes, and did not come across any new ones that do not install.

> > Why add the extra complication of such a setupIs it really such an extra complication? I thought it's just specifying"/opt/neon" path as prefix at build time.

Assuming one knows about this ahead of time, of course.  And, is it really such an extra complication.........having to install a newer version of a program that works with the new Qt?

To summarize my thoughts: the level of complication and bloat for the devs and users is not worth the effort for the very small gain this would bring.

Anyway, I am out, pending responses from the devs who actually have to build and test and maintain this, and be able to explain how much more complex doing this would be than it seems. Or isn't.

Clay Weber